Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Bona Fides

It's terribly presumptuous to have a fiction writer's blog without producing any fiction.
So hereafter will follow a revision of a short novel I wrote back in the early 1980s.  At that time a number of influences came together to incite me to produce a Christian romance thriller, entitled Free Souls.  Though I lost track of the typescript for a few years, last fall I laid hands on it again and I'll be publishing it here.
But not in its original form.  I decided that if I have any bona fides as an author, I'll want my creations to make their debut in the world well-dressed and deporting themselves in the best possible manner.  After all, I plan to present a work of fiction people will want to read, not ask them to examine a slice of my creative history.

So I've been making corrections and edits.  Lots of corrections and edits.  In fact, I reserve the right to make corrections and edits in chapters I've already posted.  I've also worked in a nested story to explain my main character's motivations better than the original managed to do.  So now it's not such a short novel any more. But I think it's better rounded.
Comments are welcome.  But please don't tell me not to use adverbs.  They have their uses. Sometimes (shock! horror!) in contemporary fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment